The Temple of Monte Grisa is a Roman-Catholic church north of the city of Trieste. Located at an altitude of 300 metres on the edge of the Karst Plateau it is a conspicuous landmark. It is overlooking both the former Austro-Hungarian neo-Classical port and the Adriatic Sea. It was built at the initiative of Antonio Santin, since 16 May 1938 Bishop of Trieste and Koper. Seeing the riots between the Nazi-German occupiers and the Comitato di Liberazione Nazionale on 30 April 1945 he made a vow to erect a church, if Trieste was saved from total destruction.
The temple was designed by Antonio Guacci, after sketches by Santin. The triangular structures should evoke the letter M as a symbol of the Holy Mary. The church was built in between 1963 and 1965, after a first stone had been laid on 19 September 1959. It has been designed with the canons of classical beauty: the golden section, the triangle of Euler, the beautiful proportions of mathematics and the square root of 5, with a harmonious and proportionate balance of the parts. It is one of the first buildings in reinforced concrete, modular, self-supporting. The module used is the isosceles triangle, with the base equal to the height, geometric figure that gives the structure a great stability.
The interior of the church is modeled as a hexagonal structure of bees due to the multiplicity of the hexagonal elements that cover its walls so as to make them resemble to the beehive. This symbolic dimension actualizes the charism of the Temple that reads: "from this honeycomb, the Temple; the mother and queen bee, the Madonna; wants to dispense his honey, his heavenly thanks to all those who come to pray to her.
Picture by @svd_fotografie